Why book a doula?
In a recent study, the role of the doula was discussed and this is a summary of the benefits of hiring a doula.
“If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it.”
~ Dr Marshall Klaus
1. Continuity of support through pregnancy, labour, birth and postnatally.
2. Support at home in labour before going to the hospital or calling the midwives.
3. Support for the family, as well as Mum.
4. Lower risk of caesarean birth.**/*
5. Less risk of an instrumental delivery.**
6. Less need for an epidural or painkillers during birth.**/*
7. Lower rate of induction of labour.**
8. Shorter labour.**
9. Greater likelihood of successfully establishing breastfeeding.*
10. Flexible support at home in the early weeks with a new baby.
**Hodnett, ED, Gates, S, Hofmeyr, GJ & Sakala, C. Continuous support for women during childbirth, Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, Issue 3.
* Brigstoke S. MIDIRS Midwifery Digest, vol 24 no 2, 2014, pp 157-160.