I thought that I would write a list of my favourite things today. Sometimes it’s nice to drown yourself in a little warmth and happiness, and I think Sunday is a great day for self-reflection. So here we go…
1. Candles – Scented from Espa or small tealights in Moroccan tealight holders
2. Blankets – soft and cosy to wrap up in during the winter sitting by the fire. Or while I sit in my hammock to read my book
3. Essential oils
4. Books – non-fiction preferably. There’s so much to learn!
5. Tea -Camomile, Nettle or a good English Breakfast with soya milk
6. The sound of the crackling fire. The smell of the smoke and the heat it provides
7. A bath with essential oils and candles in the room. Drying myself off with fluffy white towels afterwards
8. The sound of the birds and the water trickling in the water feature outside Bumble, my therapy room in the garden
9. The warmth of the sun on my skin when I sit outside with my book
10. Light trickling through a gap in something. I love to capture that in my photographs as it’s so fleeting and beautiful
11. The sound of the boy treble – again, it’s fleeting and precious which is why I love it so much
12. The excitement of finding a vegan cheese that tastes like cheese (that’s an anticipatory item!).
13. My dog
14. Anyone’s dog!
15. Smiley people who look happy to see me, even when I’ve never met them
16. Feeling heard by someone and getting my ideas reflected back to me
17. Getting a retweet, a like or a follow. My business is new so I’m very excited to reach out to new people and hear their thoughts
18. Singing in the car at the top of my voice
19. Smiling as I realise that everyone can hear me singing at the top of the voice
20. Helping at my lunch club for elderly people. The pleasure I get from seeing our guests really enjoy a wonderful hot meal is immeasurable
21. Listening to the stories that the older guests tell me. So much history that will one day disappear. We are back to my ever presence themes of impermanence and the preciousness of time.
22. On the other end of the spectrum, seeing young people enjoying the many pleasures and benefits of scouting activities
23. Enjoying a holiday with my children. I love it when we are all together in the same place and laughing with each other
24. Laughing out loud at something amusing – Youtube video’s of dogs doing funny things get me every time
25. Music – I could do lots of posts on this one.
26. Chopin Nocturnes (especially Nocturne in C sharp minor)
27. Mozart Clarinet Concerto (2nd movement)
28. Haydn’s Trumpet Concerto (2nd movement)
29. Handel’s Messiah (For unto us a child is born)
30. Jessie by Joshua Kadison. The story behind the song moves me every time.
31. Candle in the Wind by Elton John. A song about impermanence and being misunderstood.
33. True Colours by Cyndi Lauper. Seeing the light in someone else
34. Fresh flowers in a lovely glass vase (Lilies are a favourite)
35. A clean living room (aspirational target!)
36. The gentle sound of a ticking clock is very hypnotic to me
37. Starting a new online course – I love learning
38. Finding a new aspirational website and Youtube channel/podcast.
39. Managing to spend time engrossed in the new aspirational website/podcast/youtube video AND getting my work done all in the SAME DAY!
40. My leather journals
41. Sitting by the sea, listening to the sound of the waves and the seagulls above. The smell of the seaweed. The feel of the sand as I walk
42. A large bookshop with a coffee shop inside. When Borders was still open, it was my favourite part of my US trips.
43. The smell of a new book and the crinkle of the spine as I open it. The first paragraph
44. Feeling proud of someone as they achieve something that means a lot to them
45. Listening to people as they tell me their stories. Seeing the emotion in their face as they talk. What they don’t say is as important as what they say
46. Writing my blog in the morning with a hot drink and the sound of radio 3 in the background
47. Looking through images to see which ones fit the blog theme, adding words to my images
48. Walking in the Lake District on a warm, sunny day
49. Sitting on Great Gable with my picnic, admiring the view
50. Writing lists of 50 lovely things that make me happy
I’d love to hear some of yours so drop me a note in the comments below. Some of my ideas may prompt you to think of others. Looking forward to hearing from you. Until next time….